1. Make a deposit.
2. Prepare your custom butcher order.
3. Pay balance at pickup.
1. Make a $50.00 deposit for an October, November or December harvest. You can do this online or at whatever Farmers Market you find Cayuta Sun Farm.
2. By phone—or in person at the Ithaca Farmers Market—tell us how you would like your pork cut and processed. If you have never made a “cut sheet” for a butcher, don’t worry. We’ll guide you. You can use the list below as your order form or download this pdf file.
Because so much farm work takes place away from the desk, Michael Burns has phone-based office hours. Please feel free to call 607-227-0316 and discuss your order on Mondays (noon to 2p.m.,) Tuesdays (4 to 6 p.m.) and Wednesdays (noon to 2 p.m.) Whether you call during office hours or at other times please leave a message. Please be patient if it takes longer than a day to catch up with you. This is the busiest time of the year.
You are also very welcome to communicate via email <Michael@CayutaSunFarm.com> and are encouraged to put the words “half pig” in your subject line.
3. You will receive an email as soon as your order is ready, about three to six weeks after the harvest date. Most hogs are harvested on the second week of the month, so a November harvest should be ready by the winter holidays. A December harvest is ready in January. Delivery is free within 30 miles of the farm.
4. Most half pigs need about three cubic feet of freezer space for a finished weight of 75 to 90 pounds.
• $7 per pound of cut, wrapped and frozen fresh pork
• .90 per pound for sausage in links. No extra charge for loose sausage.
• 2.50 per pound for bringing and smoking (bacon and ham.)
• The finished weight of a half pig ranges from 70 to 90 pounds.
Custom Cut Butchering Options
The checklist below gives the common choices for each portion of the pig.
Check one option for each portion. Please ask if you do not see a cut you are seeking.
- Skin-on cuts require scalding which is not available during cold weather harvest season. The hair grows too thick to effectively remove after the first frosty nights.
- All trim and fat is used for ground pork and sausage.
- A minimum of 20 pounds is needed to make sausage. Recipes available are: Ground Pork, Mild Italian, Sweet Italian, Hot Italian, Kielbasa, Breakfast, Regular, and Apple Cinnamon.
[ ]bacon, sliced [ ]fresh, whole [ ]to sausage(±1 lb)
[ ]fresh, whole [ ]No thanks
Butt (top of shoulder,) 6-10 lb:
[ ]roasts, 3-5 lb [ ]steaks [ ]shoulder (Irish style) bacon, sliced
[ ]cubed/stew cut [ ]to sausage
Shoulder, 8-12 lb:
[ ]roasts, 3-5 lb [ ]steaks [ ]cubed/stew cut [ ]to sausage
[ ]fresh, whole [ ]brined and smoked [ ]to sausage (±2lb)
[ ]chops [ ]roasts, 3-5 lb [ ]smoked chops
[ ]spare ribs, half-racks [ ]to sausage (±2 lb)
[ ]bacon, sliced [ ]fresh, 2” strips [ ]quartered
[ ]roasts, 3-5 lb, [ ]chops [ ]cubed/stew cut [ ]to sausage (±5 lb)
Ham, (10-15 lb):
[ ]fresh roasts, 3-5 lb [ ]fresh steaks [ ]cubed/stew cut [ ]smoked roasts, 3-5 lb [ ]smoked steaks [ ]to sausage
[ ]fresh tenderloin, whole
[ ]Hot Italian [ ]Mild Italian [ ]Sweet Italian
[ ]Breakfast [ ]Kielbasa [ ]Regular (salt and pepper)
[ ]Apple Cinnamon [ ]Ground Pork
[ ]links [ ]rope [ ]breakfast links
[ ]breakfast patties [ ]loose/bulk
Download this file to make a cut sheet: