Permaculture Farm Intern Sought
by Michael Burns
Work with gardens, pigs, chickens and shiitake mushrooms.
Live at an off-grid homestead.
Earn your permaculture design certificate.
We are looking for a reliable, responsible and hardworking person who is available to begin working in mid-May and can commit to staying through mid-September.
Cayuta Sun has been a permaculture-designed homestead with gardens and livestock since 2003. Last year we began part-time farming and are currently developing our acreage into a woodland farm. Your help is needed in the gardens, pastures and the shiitake mushroom forest.
Work half-time this summer at Cayuta Sun Farm and earn free tuition to the Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute’s summer Permaculture Design Certificate course. We offer a CSA share, camping, a camp kitchen, outhouse and an outdoor hot shower.
An ideal candidate will have great communication skills, maturity, initiative, flexibility and the physical strength to work on a range of carpentry and farm infrastructure projects, including brush clearing, fence construction, etc. It is essential that candidates are committed to the hard work that a small start-up farm demands. The ability to lift 50 pounds regularly is required. You should expect to work outside in all weather conditions including rain, cold and summer heat of 90-100 degrees. Previous farming experience is valued but not required. A valid driver’s license helps. We seek those over 21 years old. We dismiss those who show up to work intoxicated.
Please complete the application below and email it to email@example.com. We will consider applicants until we have found a qualified candidate.
- Please attach resume.
- Please provide two references, preferably previous employers, who can vouch for the quality of your work and communication skills, reliability, maturity and honesty. Include their names, where you worked for them and a brief description of your responsibilities. Please list their phone numbers (and an email address if available).
- Postal Address:
- Are you available in mid-May through mid-September?
- Why are you interested in this position?
- What previous experience are you bringing to this position?
- What practical skills do you hope to acquire?
- What are your personal goals related to agriculture?
- We raise animals for meat on the farm. What is your perspective on the role animals play on a small farm?
- What are your experiences living and working on a farm?
- You will have to set up a campsite for sleeping. Do you have camping experience or a tent?
- Do you have any allergies, food restrictions, or physical limitations that might affect your ability to live in a rural setting and do farm work?
- Please describe interesting qualities and experiences about yourself (hobbies, pastimes, travels, research, work, etc.)
- Please provide any additional information that you would like us to know.